From Chania: Samaria Gorge Tour
A tour that we consider a must-do, an experience that you will never forget! The best hike ever!
No holiday in Crete is complete without a tour to Samaria Gorge. A tour that we consider a must-do, an experience that you will never forget! The best hike ever to the second biggest gorge in Europe.
Keep in mind that this is an experience that we recommend to those that want to have a great hike and want to visit the must-see places of Crete. Moreover, it is recommended to those that don’t want to spend as much as for the private tour to the gorge, which could be found here.
Starting your hike at 7, only interesting facts follow!
After descending the 600 wooden steps, you will be intrigued by the beauty and serenity of this massive gorge which is shadowed by the White Mountains. Later, you will come across the church of St. Nicolas which is built on the ruins of an ancient temple. Lastly, you will reach “Portes” or “Iron Gates”, the narrowest pass of the gorge. The hike ends at Agia Roumeli, where you could have a break before taking the boat to Sougia.
While there, grab the chance to swim or eat and you will not regret. The Samaria Gorge tour continues by taking the boat, which is going to lead you to Sougia. From Sougia, the bus will lead you back to where you were picked up.
Important Information on the Samaria Gorge tour
• Drink plenty of water (you can refill your bottle from springs inside the gorge)!
• Go slow in the first 2km of the walk & avoid stopping for a rest just below high cliffs.
• We recommend to avoid resting for more than 15 minutes (especially if you are not used to long hikes). This is because your muscles will start to stiffen up and you will find it pretty hard to get going again.
• Whilst in the village of Samaria take a quiet walk around it, you will probably catch a glimpse of the kri‐kri’s. The young ones get used to seeing people every day and are not that shy.
• Always look where you are heading. When you want to look around, make sure you don’t block the path and then look.
• Halfway down the gorge lies the old village of Samaria. The village of Samaria has a telephone for communication with the police, a pharmacy, and two mules to transport injured persons.
-Photoshoot the 2nd Largest Gorge in Europe (16 km)
-See the famous endangered Cretan Goat “Kri-Kri”
-Swim in the Refreshing Cool Waters of Agia Roumeli
-Enjoy various Cretan dishes at local taverns
The tour includes
- Pick up and drop off
- Air-Conditioned Luxury Bus
- Full Liability Insurance
Does not include
- Gratuities (optional)
- Extras (food & drinks)
- Boat ticket (10 euros)
- Entrance fee (5 euros)
- DeparturePick up from certain spots of Chania Region
- Departure Time06:00
- Return Time20:00
- Dress CodeBring or wear the following: Sunglasses and Hat , A light jumper for the morning , Good Hiking or Sport Shoes, Bottle of Water & Light Snack (fruits etc.), Swim Suit and a Beach Towel!